Learn some interesting information about China while enjoying a range of fun facts and trivia!
Read about the Great Wall of China, its major cities, population, languages, rivers, animals, economy and much more.
- China is officially known as the People's Republic of China.
- China has the largest population in the world, with over 1.3 billion people (1,343,239,923) as of July 2012.
- China is the 3rd largest country by area at 9,706,961 sq km (3,747,879 sq miles).
- China belongs to the continent of Asia. Bordering countries include Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Vietnam.
- The summit of Mt Everest marks the border between China and Nepal.
- There are many different languages spoken in China, including Mandarin, Yue, Wu, Minbei, Minnan, Xiang, Gan and Hakka.
- The capital city is Beijing, while the most populated city is Shanghai. Other major cities include Chongqing, Shenzhen and Guangzhou.
- 47% of the population live in urban areas.
- China experiences typhoons every year and also suffers from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes and droughts.
- China has the fourth longest river in the world, the Yangtze River, which reaches 5,797km (3,602 miles) in length. It also has the sixth longest, the Yellow River, stretching 4,667km (2,900 miles).
- China is the second largest economy in the world, after the United States of America.
- In 2003, China became the third country to successfully send a person to space.
- The Great Wall of China is the largest man made structure in the world, stretching an incredible 8,850 kilometres (5,500 miles).
- The famous Giant Panda is found near the Yangtze River in China.
- China hosted the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing.